TOURS

DREAM TOUR SCHEDULE

Dream tour venues available, during each of the following times:

Friday     1:00pm – 4:00pm           

Saturday 1:00pm – 4:00pm          
Sunday   1:00 pm – 4:00pm         


In addition to the dream tour of historic homes, pilgrims will be invited to receptions, special tours, book signings and many other special events happening throughout Vicksburg. Some events may ask for a donation or separate modest admission fee.

Some of the homes and local points of interest that may be on the tours can be found below.

Confirmed Dates Below!

SPRING 2020 ADMISSION

Please keep in mind that the dream tour of historic houses include many private residences and have agreed to pre-specified days and times for each location. Please be respectful that the owners have prepared their homes for viewing during these times only. Please only approach a venue during their scheduled times as a courtesy to our gracious owners.

You may pay directly (cash only) to the owner, should you only want a

single venue.

(Check the schedule for which venues are open on specific dates.)
 

Buy your tickets 

- Online on our Home page

- Old Depot Museum

- Vicksburg Visitors Center at 3200 Clay Street, Vicksburg, MS 38180, across from the National Military Park.

1 Venue - $15 ok to pay at door
1 Day pass $30 
2 Day pass $50
Unlimited $75

  • Mounger House

    2308 Drummond Street
    Vicksburg, MS 39183

    This house is a Free Classic Queen Anne residence, meaning that it has the massing of traditional Queen Anne residences with tall hip roofs with cross gables, towers and turrets, and other Victorian ornamentation.  However, it also has more classical details such as the Palladian window in the gable end.  The house was built in 1901 by Mary Searles on land she purchased from Warner and Searles for $2,250. (Similar to a Sears & Roebuck store).  Currently this house is a private residence, not typically open to the public.  The house was once used an early bed & breakfast, but has also housed some of Vicksburg's most community minded residents.

  • Duff Green

    1114 First East Street
    Vicksburg, MS 39183

    Built in 1856 by a local cotton broker for his bride, the mansion was built for entertaining in the grand antebellum lifestyle. That life was short lived by the Green family when war reached Vicksburg in 1863.  Duff Green is credited with saving his neighborhood including adjoining Christ Episcopal Church by designating the home as a hospital for both Union and Confederate soldiers. See the transformation from grand home to hospital to soldier’s rest home, then a home again from reconstruction to the depression, then a boy’s orphanage and finally the Salvation Army Headquarters for over fifty years.  The Duff Green Mansion was renovated by Mr. and Mrs. Harry Sharp in the mid-1980s to a grand home once again. 

  • McNutt House

    815 First East Street
    Vicksburg, MS 39183

    Alexander Gallatin McNutt, Mississippi's 12th Governor, purchased the house in 1829 and added the rear wing in 1832. The main floor contains beautiful original coal burning fireplaces, family antique period furnishings, and antique and vintage curios and letters. It is among the oldest residences in Vicksburg and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places in addition to State and County Historic Landmarks.

  • Featherston-Magruder House

    1117 Cherry Street
    Vicksburg, MS 39183

    A surviving antebellum home in the dead center of historic Vicksburg, the Featherston-Magruder House is a magnificent example of an Italianate Revival remodel of a classic Greek Revival architecture. The original building, erected in 1831, was built by Richard Featherston, a planter and school teacher, to put his family and the town's first school room all under the same roof. The Featherston family was a perfect example of early American migration and its impact on the civil war. Private Residence    

  • Christ Episcopal Church

    1115 Main Street
    Vicksburg, MS 39183

    The cornerstone of Christ Episcopal Church was laid on April 19, 1830. A simple structure of brick and mortar with wood framing complete with a cast iron bell from Philadelphia. Bishop James Harvey Otey of Tennessee conducted the formal consecration ceremony on May 3, 1843. Reverend W. W. Lord was rector in 1851 and despite constant bombardment from Union gunboats during the Civil War, conducted daily church services. The historical marker in front of the church offers all who come, a place to find, at least for a short time, in all the turmoil, a sense of peace, some degree of sanctuary, and maybe for a time not be afraid. 

  • Holy Trinity Episcopal Church

    900 South Street
    Vicksburg, MS 39183

    Holy Trinity Episcopal Church was founded in 1869 by members of Vicksburg's first Episcopal parish, Christ Church. Over the next decade, the congregation worshipped regularly in the chapel while raising funds to build the new church. In 1878, a yellow fever epidemic struck Vicksburg and three of the founding members of Holy Trinity died. The building project was delayed six months while the congregation mourned this loss. The congregation worshipped in the new church building on March 28, 1880, and celebrated the completion of the building and also installation of the first stained glass windows. The church building was finally consecrated on June 24, 1894, after completion of the interior work, furnishing, and payment of the final construction debt.

  • Mary Harwood House

    600 Fort Hill Drive
    Vicksburg, MS 39183

    The house was built on a bluff facing the Mississippi River. In 1862, an ammunitions magazine was built in front of the house by  Confederate soldiers for a cannon on this property that was used in the defense of Vicksburg. Damage from intensive shelling by Union gunboats during the Siege is still visible inside the house. Private Residence.

  • St. George Orthodox Church

    2709 Washington Street
    Vicksburg, MS 39180

    At the latter part of the nineteenth century, a handful of people who migrated from Syria and Lebanon traveled up the Mississippi River to settle in Vicksburg. They formed a community of their own, thousands of miles from their homeland. Although the early days were difficult and challenging, these courageous people worked hard and stuck together to acquire their own house of worship. St. George was one of the first Orthodox churches in the southern part of the United States. In 2006, St. George celebrated its 100th anniversary, as the oldest Antiochian Orthodox Church in Mississippi and the South. Look forward to viewing possibly Spring 2020.

  • Baer House

    1117 Grove Street
    Vicksburg, MS 39183

    In 1870, Leona and Lazrus Baer constructed this huge Victorian home with a goal of impressing guests with the elaborate woodwork and a grand ballroom. It was designed to be similar to the large Eastlake Victorians just becoming popular for the wealthy in America. Mrs. Baer was adamant that the kitchen be inside the house and that there be privies on the first floor for guests and on the second floor for family; a his-and-hers two-story outhouse was the result! The home had 11 fireplaces, 4 cisterns, a wellhouse and a carriage house. It is one of the best examples of Eastlake Victorian style in the state of Mississippi and is included in "Victorian Houses of Mississippi.” Look forward to viewing possibly Spring 2020.

  • Cedar Grove

    2200 Oak Street
    Vicksburg, MS 39180

    John Alexander Klein, a planter and businessman, built this Greek Revival style mansion for his 16-year-old bride. Klein bought many of the Italian marble fireplaces, French empire gasoliers, Bohemian glass for the doorway, towering gold leaf mirrors, exquisite clocks and paintings while in Europe on their honeymoon. The mansion was completed in 1852. During the siege, the home experienced bombardment by cannon. A cannon ball is still lodged in the parlor wall. The house remained in tact mainly because it had been used as a Union hospital.

                        

  • The Magnolias

    1617 Monroe Street
    Vicksburg, MS 39180

    This site was once owned by the Vick Family for whom Vicksburg was named. Hand-picked lumber was air dried on site before construction began. Materials and workmanship for the special pierced columns on the front porches, finely crafted brackets, balustrades and friezes were reputedly the finest of the period. Some of the original gas light fixtures remain. Iron medallions decorate the chandeliers in the parlor and dining rooms, which are joined by massive pocket doors. The stairway has an elaborate hand-sawed Newell that ascends straight to the second floor.  

  • The Vicksburg

    801 Clay Street
    Vicksburg, MS 39180

    This 11 story, 200 room Colonial Revival style hotel was designed by Chicago architect H. L. Stevens & Co. Termed a "modest skyscraper upon completion in 1929 it was the tallest building between Memphis & New Orleans. It was acclaimed as "one of the most modernly equipped hotels in the South." A refrigeration system supplied ice water to every room and to Art  Deco drinking fountains, one of which remains in the lobby. The hotel closed in 1975 and 5 years later was converted to short-term rental apartments. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.  Look forward to viewing possibly Spring 2020.

  • The Nurses Quarters

    1115 First East Street
    Vicksburg, MS 39183

    This Greek Revival style house was built in 1830 and is on the National Register of Historic Places. One of the first owners of the property was Sheriff Stephen Howard, who led a revolt against local gamblers during the “Murrell Excitement” of 1835. During and after the Siege of Vicksburg, this cottage was used as a barracks for nurses who  operated the makeshift hospital and Soldier’s Home located across the street. The home has been beautifully restored and appointed with antique furniture and interesting artifacts found on or near the property.

  • McRaven

    1445 Harrison Street
    Vicksburg, MS 39180

    Hear the fascinating and sometimes eerie stories about the people who once called McRaven home. National Geographic Magazine has called it the "time capsule of the South." Explore the architecture of three different time periods: Frontier (1797), Empire (1836), and Greek Revival (1849). 

  • Cowan Place

    1 Cowan Place
    Vicksburg, MS 39180

    This Tudor style house was built in 1913. This lovely two-story, half brick and half-timbered, four bay, Tudor Revival private residence has a cross-gable roof has exposed rafter ends.  Workmanship like this is rarely seen today with two offset corbelled brick chimneys.  There's a gabled dormer with widely overhanging eaves.  A gable projecting room is half-timbered.  There are four bays; glazed double leaf doors with sidelights and transom and one over one leaded double-hung wood sash.  This house has recently sold and the new owners are graciously letting us admire their home before taking residence.  

  • Frank J Fisher Funeral Home

    1830 Cherry Street
    Vicksburg, MS 39180

    This beautiful 19th Century Antebellum Home, was built in 1860 by Judge Warren Cowan. The Signal Corp of Union troops used the house during the civil war, and placed signal flags on its balcony to signal the surrender of Vicksburg and the end of the Civil War. In 1940, Frank J. Fisher purchased and used it for his funeral home ever since, the house was added on to since then. Nothing is more legendary or iconic as a Southern Funeral, so it's especially fitting we would add the Frank J. Fisher to our Pilgrimage line up.

  • Cobb House

    1011 Crawford Street
    Vicksburg, MS 39180

    In partnership with the Southern Cultural Heritage Center, the Cobb House, circa 1830, is on one of the most historically significant blocks of Vicksburg.  The Sisters of Mercy used the center as a convent and a school.  The Cobb House served as barracks at different times for both the North and South during the Civil War. Following the siege the Sisters of Mercy recovered the building and reopened the school in 1864.  After Jefferson Davis was released from prison in 1869, he returned to Vicksburg and spoke to the citizens from the balcony.  The Auditorium and Cobb House will be on tour for Pilgrimage.  The Convent is currently closed for repairs but hopes to join Pilgrimage next season.

      

  • Crawford Street 

    United Methodist Church

    900 Crawford Street
    Vicksburg, MS 39180

    Visit Crawford Street United Methodist Church, home of the 2nd oldest Methodist congregation in Mississippi, founded even before Mississippi became a state! Learn about the first pastor, Newit Vick, for whom
    Vicksburg is named, and why there is no pastor listed for the year 1863. Find out about the single person whose remains are enshrined on the grounds of the church and why this is so important to Methodists in
    Mississippi. Laugh at stories of the “Floral Club” ladies from the early 1900s and hear about the devastating fire that occurred on Palm Sunday, 1925. Tour the sanctuary completed in 1927, view the stained-glass windows, learn their meaning and gain a better understanding of the congregation the church continues to serve today.

  • Planters Hall

    822 Main Street
    Vicksburg, MS 39183

    Planter's Hall was built in 1834.  It's a two-story brick Greek Revival building with brick laid in Flemish Bond. It's first floor was a bank, and the second floor was a living quarters once occupied by the bank president.  It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.  During the 1863 Siege of Vicksburg, the house was occupied by Col. Allen Thomas and his Louisiana Regiment.  

  • Pleasant Green Baptist Church

    817 Bowman Street
    Vicksburg, MS 39180

    Established in 1867, four years following the  civil war, seven people forged with the faith and fortitude of their fathers, formed and founded Pleasant Green Baptist Church in Vicksburg in response to God's call to revive and revitalize souls by the river.  Through the hardships of Reconstruction, racism and regulations of Jim Crowe this small congregation continued.  Through the burden of building, burning in 1869 then rebuilding then burning again in 1888 and rebuilding with brick in 1893. This small group persevered and became 800 strong. Almost 100 years after the founding of the church in 1964, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. encouraged the entire congregation and community to champion the cause of Christ through civil action and civility.

  • Belle of the Bends

    508 Klein Street
    Vicksburg, MS 39180

    Constructed in the mid 1870s, this postbellum home is adorned with crystal chandeliers, ornately carved millwork and other lavish details that lend a unique feel. This breathtaking Italianate mansion sits atop a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River and is one of MIssissippi's best preserved historical homes. It showcases beautiful oval, arched woodwork and trim and intricate Bavarian plaster and gold leaf crown moldings throughout. Four original chandeliers and many original antiques adorn its interior.

© 2020  Vicksburg Pilgrimage. Proudly created by Mansell Media.

tourho14.png
visitMS-logo.png

Vicksburg Pilgrimage